VOTE

Two more reasons to like Portland:

1. Oregon's vote-by-mail system is convenient and relatively non-corrupt.

2. Portland's likely next mayor, Sam Adams, will be the first openly gay mayor of a top-40 USA city.



The first time I saw him in person was when he was campaigning for city commissioner a few years ago. On a Saturday afternoon I watched him park his pickup truck on Stark Street and carry a handful of campaign signs into Silverado (Portland's trashiest gay club). For a politician, he seems pretty down to earth — he rides his bike, and raises chickens in his back yard in North Portland. And then there's this bizarre story.

[UPDATE: he won.]

In my post-adolescent years I was a pseudo-radical who idolized Guy Debord and was way too cool to take mainstream politics or voting seriously. I'm sure that at least once during that phase of my life I nodded in agreement with the slogan, "if voting actually made a difference, they would've made it illegal already!"

I voted for Nader in 2000, because seriously, Democrats are lame. It never occurred to me that the dipshit loser Bush had a chance of winning. Really, who the hell would have voted for a dipshit loser like him anyway? But he won, and that sobered me up a little bit. For better or worse, I now follow national politics closely and daily.

Still, I can't bring myself to register as a Democrat. This year I wanted to, so that I could vote for Obama (in Oregon's closed primary system only registered Dems can vote in the Dem primary), but I missed the deadline. But unless the Clintons have some powerful tricks up their sleeves, Obama will win the Dem nomination. While I'm not enthusiastic about his centrist policies, I'm really looking forward to November when I get the chance to vote for an accomplished, intelligent person who speaks to us like adults, and in grammatically correct sentences. I might even put a bumper sticker on my car.

1 comment:

jimbo said...

I'm all for anyone who raises chickens in his backyard.